Saturday, March 24, 2012

Snickerdoodle-esque Muffins


I loved these!  Was looking for baked doughnut recipes, and stumbled upon a doughnut muffin recipe instead.  I must agree with all of the comments from that recipe that these are more reminiscent of snickerdoodle cookies than doughnuts, but I would still highly recommend them with your morning or afternoon cup of coffee.

I used melted butter instead of shortening, added a little grated nutmeg to the batter, and brushed the top of the muffins with melted butter before dusting them.  Just in case you think yours look different than mine, I also tried to dust the top of the muffins with cinnamon sugar before baking, but I think that was unnecessary.  I used some store bought cinnamon sugar with a little extra sugar mixed in for my topping, as I don't think the large amount made in the recipe was really needed.

Snickerdoodle-esque Muffins
Adapted from Debbie's Doughnut Muffins
allrecipes.com
Makes 12 muffins


  • 1/3 cup melted butter, slightly cooled
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg (I eyeballed this one, sorry!)
  • 1/2 cup milk
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
  • 1 teaspoon melted butter
  • 1/4th cup cinnamon sugar (roughly 1/4th cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon)


~Preheat oven to 375 °F.  Prepare muffin tins with liners.

~In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and nutmeg.

~In a large bowl whisk together the sugar and 1/3 cup melted butter.  Once mixed, beat in the egg.  Add the flour mixture in two parts, alternating with the milk.  Stir just until mixed.

~Fill your liners about two-thirds full and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

~Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes.  While the muffins are cooling, melt your 1 teaspoon of butter, and prepare your cinnamon sugar mixture.  After the 5 minutes are up, move your muffins to a wire cooling rack.  Brush the top of each with enough melted butter just to coat, and then use a small spoon to dust with cinnamon sugar.  (I suggest having your wire rack over either paper towels or a pan to catch excess) I recommend trying some with a cup of coffee, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment